No article used before the
names of places and buildings consisting of a proper and a common noun.
For example : London Bridge, Waterloo station, London University.
Single names of this kind are used with the definite article. For
example : The Tower , The Tate/a picture gallery/.
No article is used before the names of streets and
squares. For example : Oxford Street , Trafalgar Square. But
: The Strand , The High Street.
Normally the definite article is used before the names of
magazines and newspapers . For example : The Daly Mail , The Times .
According to R. Quirk "magazines and periodicals normally have the
zero article / see "A University Grammar Of English" by R,
The definite article is
used with the names of:
1. ships :The Titanic
2. hotels : the Savoy , The Hilton
3. restaurants ,cafes ,: I went to the dinner at The Europe the night
4. cinemas and theatres : The Odeon , The Globe
5. clubs : The Cream , The Ministry Of Sound
6. historical events : The Renaissance
7. organizations and institutions : The United Nations