1. Normally no article is used before
persons' names if they are not specified .For example : But she was
2. The definite article is used with persons' names when
· A name denotes the whole family. For example : The Browns were I
thought a religious family.
· A name is modified by a restrictive attribute . For example : She
was a stranger to the Dorinda of yesterday / Glasgow/
· A name is used with a descriptive attribute denoting a particular
state of mind or mood of the person or his/her permanent
characteristics. For example : She gave the astonished Hoylake 10
But no article is used before persons' names with descriptive attributes
if these attributes are emotionally colored and are, so to say, parts of
the names / old, young, dear, little ,poor,
honest/. For example : Old Golvon
goes to the opera. I turned. It was young Brown.
3.The indefinite article is used before persons' names
· A name denotes one of the family. For example : But if you ask me
how I do it ,I'll answer ,because I am a Forsyte!
· The adjective certain is used or
implied before a name . Foe example : A certain Mrs. Jones rang me up
today but she's got the wrong number.
· The article means one like , another.
For example : At thirteen I thought him a Shakespeare.
Persons' names denoting products of the activity of the given person are
used with articles like common count nouns. For example : This is a
Mauser - he said